Village of Calumet Police Department
The Village of Calumet is proud to employ highly qualified, responsive law enforcement professionals. The Calumet Police Department is led by Police Chief Keith Anderson.
PUBLIC SAFETY IS OUR #1 PRIORITY
How can I recognize an emergency situation?
A YES answer to any of the following questions would indicate an emergency situation:
- Is there an injury or possible injury?
- Is a crime being committed or about to be committed?
- Is someone asking for help?
- Is the suspect still at the scene?
- Is there threat of impending danger or major damage?
- Is there a hazardous condition which would cause injury or death to citizens or their property and will not go away unless action is taken?
- Will immediate response prevent possible injury or damage or result in the apprehension of the perpetrator(s)?
How do I describe a person when attempting to identify to others?
It is best to describe from the top down.
- Race: White, black, Spanish, etc.
- Sex: Male, female
- Age: 18 to 20 years old, 30 to 40 years old, etc.
- Clothing: Type, color, hat, coat, shirt, pants, shoes, etc.
- Height: 5 foot 8 to 5 foot 10, etc.
- Weight: 140 to 150 pounds, etc.
- Hair: Color, style, length, beard, mustache, etc.
- Build: Fat, thin, large, petite, medium, etc.
- Other: Scars, tattoos, moles, etc.
How do I describe a vehicle to others?
When describing a vehicle, attempt to supply as much information as possible that would allow the responding officers to distinguish this vehicle from the many others. Again, describe from the top down.
- License number (the most important)
- Color (two-tone, three-tone)
- Body style (two door, four door, van, pick-up truck, etc.)
- Make (Ford, Chrysler, Pontiac, Honda, etc.)
- Year (If not known, then describe newer or older)
- Any outstanding features (damage, rust, clean, dirty, antenna, bumper sticker, sunroof, vanity plate, writing on sides, etc.)
How do I make an emergency phone call?
- Stay calm.
- Don't get excited.
- Don't wait for someone else to call.
- Tell the person who answers the phone exactly what is wrong, like this:... "There was just a car accident in front of my house...".
- Tell the person who answers the phone the exact address of where the emergency is located, including the apartment number if you live in an apartment.
- Tell the person who answers the phone the phone number from which you are calling.
- Tell the person who answers the phone your name.
How do I report a crime or an emergency?
When reporting a crime or emergency to the Village of Calumet Police Department the following information is needed:
- Your name and address.
- The type of crime or emergency.
- The exact location of the situation.
- The description of the suspect and the suspect's vehicle if one is used.
- The direction of flight.
- The time of occurrence.
- If a weapon was used, and if so what type.
What are some examples of suspicious activity that I should report?
- A stranger is entering your neighbor's house or yard while they're away.
- Peddlers offer merchandise at ridiculously low prices.
- Anyone removing accessories, license plates or gasoline from a vehicle.
- Persons entering or leaving a business after hours.
- Sounds of breaking glass, gun shots, screaming, car alarms or anything suggestive of foul play.
- Persons loitering near schools, parks or secluded areas in your neighborhood.
- Open or broken windows at a closed business or residence.
- Vehicles being loaded with valuables even if they appear to be legitimate looking commercial vehicles.
- Parked, occupied vehicles containing one or more persons--especially if seen at an unusual hour.
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY OR
TO REPORT A CRIME PLEASE CALL 911
Calumet Police Department
340 6th St
Calumet, MI 49913