REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ) FOR ENGINEERING SERVICES FOR THE DOWNTOWN CALUMET GREEN SPACE PROJECT
Prospective candidates can view the RFQ below. Submission instructions are provided therein. Responses to this RFQ must be received no later than Monday, August 22nd, 2022 at 4:00pm
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ) FOR ENGINEERING SERVICES
The Village of Calumet is applying for a Public Gathering Spaces grant for the Downtown Calumet Greenspace Project, a proposed Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funded project. The Village is seeking request for qualifications for engineering services for this project.
The proposed project will create a community park in downtown Calumet, Michigan. The Downtown Calumet Green Space project will create an attractive, historically compatible, public space suited for flexible use, public events and social opportunities. The project will include installation of sidewalks, electrical service, a small stage, seat planter and water service to the site. Design and engineering must be complete for Historic District Commission review November 1st, 2022 and final plans ready for the bid process to commence on January 1, 2023.
PART ONE: SCOPE OF SERVICES
The Village of Calumet is soliciting qualification statements for engineering services to assist the Village of Calumet with final design and engineering of a community park development in compliance with MEDC and Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) requirements. The agreement will be on a lump sum, fixed price basis (or cost reimbursement “not to exceed” basis), with payment terms to be negotiated with the selected Respondent. Reimbursement for services will be contingent on the Village of Calumet receiving funding from the MEDC. The maximum amount of engineering fees that can be paid with CDBG funds will be determined by MEDC and may require adjustments in the proposed contract amount.
The services to be provided will include, but not be limited to:
1. Pre-design investigations.
2. Providing a complete set of plans, specifications and engineering, engineering surveying and design services needed for construction of the Project, complete contract documents, construction cost estimate for bidding, and other work as necessary to provide a complete Project.
3. Assisting the administrative consultant with the construction bid package in conformance with applicable federal requirements and supervising the bid advertising, tabulation, and award process, including preparing the advertisements for bid solicitation, conducting the bid opening, and issuing the notice to proceed.
4. Assist in conducting the preconstruction conference.
5. Field staking, on-site supervision of construction work, and preparing inspection reports.
6. Reviewing and approving all contractor requests for payment and submitting approved requests to the governing body.
7. Providing reproducible plan drawings to the Village of Calumet upon project completion.
8. Conducting final inspection and testing.
PART TWO: REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATION STATEMENTS
The following information should be included under the title “Request for Qualification Statements for Engineering Services for the Downtown Calumet Greenspace Project CDBG Program”:
1. Name of Respondent.
2. Respondent address.
3. Respondent telephone number.
4. Respondent federal tax identification number.
5. Name, title, address, telephone number, fax number, and email address of contact person authorized to contractually obligate the Respondent.
Contents of Qualifications Submittal
Respondents should letter and number responses exactly as the questions are presented herein. Interested Respondents are invited to submit qualifications that contain the following information:
1. Introduction (transmittal letter).
2. Background and Experience.
3. Specialized Knowledge.
4. Personnel/Professional Qualifications.
1. Introduction (transmittal letter)
By signing the letter, the Respondent certifies that the signatory is authorized to bind the Respondent. The RFQ response should include:
a. A brief statement of the Respondent’s understanding of the scope of the work to be performed;
b. A certification that the Respondent meets the appropriate state licensing requirements to practice in the State of Michigan;
c. A certification that the Respondent has not had a record of substandard work within the last five years;
d. A certification that the Respondent has not engaged in any unethical practices within the last five years;
e. A certification that, if awarded the contract, the Respondent acknowledges its complete responsibility for the entire contract, including payment of any and all charges resulting from the contract;
f. Any other information that the Respondent feels is appropriate;
g. The signature of an individual who is authorized to provide information of this nature in the name of the Respondent submitting the qualifications.
2. Background and Experience
a. Describe Respondent’s firm by providing its full legal name, date of establishment, type of entity and business expertise, short history, current ownership structure, and any recent or materially significant proposed change in ownership.
b. Describe any prior engagements in which Respondent’s firm assisted a governmental entity in dealings with CDBG and any other projects relating to CDBG, Respondent should include all examples of work on similar projects as described in Part One. Respondent should provide a list of completed CDBG projects. Preference is for the types of projects similar to those described in Part One. (For example; if the RFQ is for drainage projects it is only of secondary importance to provide information on how many sewer or water CDBG projects Respondent has performed.) Respondent should provide the names, phone numbers, and emails of contact persons in the organizations for whom any projects referenced in this section were conducted. Respondent should include written references (letters or forms are acceptable) from previous clients attesting to the quality of work and compliance with performance schedules Respondent cites in this section.
c. Describe the firm’s workload and current capacity to accomplish the work in the required time.
d. Describe any issue the characteristics of which would be uniquely relevant in evaluating the experience of Respondent’s firm to handle the proposed project(s).
e. Describe Respondent’s firm’s presence in commitment to Michigan.
f. Provide current information on professional errors and omissions coverage carried by Respondent’s firm, including amount of coverage.
g. The Village of Calumet reserves the right to request any additional information to assure itself of a Respondent’s financial status.
3. Specialized Knowledge
a. Describe their knowledge and experience in the particular types of projects described in Part One.
b. Describe their knowledge of HUD’s requirements for the CDBG.
4. Personnel/Professional Qualifications
a. Identify staff members who would be assigned to act for Respondent’s firm in key management and field positions providing the services described in Part One: Scope of Services, and the functions to be performed by each.
b. Include resumes or curriculum vitae of each such staff member designated above, including name, position, telephone number, fax number, email address, education, and years and type of experience. Describe, for each such person, the projects relevant to CDBG on which they have worked.
c. Estimate the number of persons to be assigned to this project, indicating the number working in Michigan and the number working elsewhere.
PART THREE: SELECTION CRITERIA
The Village of Calumet shall evaluate each potential contractor in terms on its:
1. Professional qualifications necessary for satisfactory performance of required services;
2. Specialized experience and technical competence in the type of work required;
3. Capacity to accomplish the work in the required time;
4. Past performance on contract with Government agencies and private industry in terms of cost control, quality of work, and compliance with performance schedules;
5. Location in the general geographical area of the project and knowledge of the locality of the project; provided, that application of this criterion leaves an appropriate number of qualified firms, given the nature and size of the project; **
Respondents will be evaluated on the basis of the written material submitted and according to the following factors: *
1. Experience of the firm with this particular type of construction project(s)
as described in Part One. 40 pts.
2. Experience of the firm with other type of CDBG construction projects. 10 pts.
3. Current capacity to accomplish the work in the required time. 30 pts.
4. Reference from other clients attesting to firms:
a. Quality of work. 20 pts.
b. Compliance with performance schedules. 20 pts.
In the event of a tie, oral interviews will be held with those firms. As a result of the interviews, the Village of Calumet will determine which firm will be selected to enter into contract negotiations. Unsuccessful firms will be notified as soon as possible.
Questions should be addressed to Amber Goodman, Village of Calumet. Responses to this RFQ should be emailed to email@example.com, or hand delivered or mailed to Village of Calumet, CDBG Administration, 340 6th Street, Calumet, MI 49913.
Responses to this RFQ must be received no later than Monday, August 22nd, 2022 at 4:00pm. Please state “CDBG Qualifications Statement-Engineering Services” on the cover.
**Geographic preference may be used as a selection factor for engineering services if adequate competitions (two or more firms that are responsive and responsible) are located within the distances identified.